I am looking for a production assistant to work on my new augmented audio walk ‘Only Expansion’
What’s the project
‘Only Expansion’ is an audio walk that combines the sound of your surroundings with recordings of environments from around the world, letting you experience an immersive and visceral response our current ecological crisis. Custom mobile electronics remix the world around you, so the chatter of passers by might become a crackling fire, or a rumbling bus engine turns into a pulsating rhythm, all of these sounds slowly blend into real documentary sound recordings of desert winds and rising flood waters from distant lands. A printed guidebook in your hand prompts you to explore your local area in different ways, connecting global stories to your local environment, while a richly cinematic music score reframes what you see and feel on your journey through the city.
The project was originally developed at Lydgalleriet in Bergen, it has recently be commissioned by University of Exeter and Theatre in The Mill. It will be presented in 2018 in Bradford, Exeter, Bristol and Derry, then again in Spring 2019 with potential dates in UK, Norway and the Netherlands.
What I’m looking for
I’m looking for someone who can assist in the following key areas:
– creative documentation of project
– scheduling and managing audience testing sessions
(Basic skills in one of the following areas, if you feel you are up for more than one that’s great.. but I’m only realistically expecting one)
– fabrication (inc. lasercut design/production)
– basic electronics (wiring/soldering etc.)
– print design and production
What you get :
– Inclusive fee £1100 (see notes ) Based on 11 days at £100 p/d.
– Experience of working on an innovative project that is connected to multiple venues and networks
– Insight into sound design and composition of experiential / immersive art works
– Travel to venues (and accommodation for presentations in 2018.)
– The project will primarily be developed in Bristol at the Pervasive Media Studio. There is budget to cover travel to venues for the presentations but not for travel to Bristol for development time, please consider this when applying.
The contract is for 11 days work. The overall time period of your role on the project would be from 7th September to the 20th November. Specific dates will be agreed but the key working periods will be between 2nd – 27th October.
Deadline for applications: 31st August
Interviews: 3rd or 6th September
How To Apply
Please send a one page (maximum) document to firstname.lastname@example.org
The format is up to you but it should include:
– your reasons for applying and relevant background/skills.
– contact details for one referee that you have worked with/for
– A link to online documentation of any relevant work.
The deadline is 5pm on 31st August, you will be notified if selected for interview by 1st September. Interviews will take place in Bristol on the 3rd or 6th September.
This is a freelance role and as such you will be responsible for your own tax and national insurance.