Download pdf version of call by clicking here
Job Description - Producer
Freelance contract : £200 per day : 1 day per week : Up to one year initial contract with 3 month review period and potential for extension.
The artist lives in Bristol and is based at Pervasive Media Studio. You might not be based close by full time but must be willing to travel for face-to-face meetings on a semi-regular basis (approximately 1 day per month, expenses to be negotiated). This is a new role with the potential for additional days employment through new projects/income streams.
About the role
Duncan Speakman is looking for a thoughtful, proactive and ambitious Producer to work alongside him on existing and new projects. You would be supporting a body of internationally acclaimed work as well looking for opportunities to reach wider audiences and extend into different fields. Having won last year’s London Film Festival Best Immersive and XR Award, Duncan is looking to tour Only Expansion further as well as re-energise past projects for new audiences. As a producer, you would be taking on the challenge of promoting works that are unusual in their form and not always straightforward to describe or exhibit. As well as working as a solo artist Duncan is also looking to form new collaborations and work as a composer and sound designer on projects led by others. You would play a key role in spotting and brokering those opportunities, responding to leads and creating structure around a portfolio career.
About Duncan’s work
Normally working in collaboration, Duncan’s work often uses mobile audio to create experiences that engage audiences with the world around them. Pieces that respond to specific places, play about with time and draw attention to the things that connect us to each other and our environment. He has developed new methods for composing in public space and designed bespoke technologies that enable new forms of experience.
The work takes many forms, from a site specific walk for two people in London (A Hollow Body), mass headphone experiences (Subtlemobs), pedestrian speaker symphonies (A Folded Path), to print and audio narratives (Six Conversations). Explore more here.
The contract will begin with a planning day to agree tasks and priorities but it is anticipated that the initial focus will be:
- Review portfolio of existing work and create promotional packs or equivalent
- Identify, approach and liaise with potential venues and/or publishers for portfolio as appropriate
- Develop plans for distributing existing work directly to audiences
- Respond to approaches and actively identify new contexts and opportunities for work e.g. consultancy, workshop delivery, artistic commissions
- Plan, structure and review work schedules including agreeing clear milestones to support the artist’s momentum
- On occasion to represent the work and artist within relevant professional contexts
- Ad-hoc administrative support for ongoing projects
- Strong organisational skills
- Understanding of budgets and accounts for creative projects.
- Strong writing skills, for both specialised and public audiences
- Experience of touring artistic work nationally/internationally and reaching new audiences
- Experience of income generation and fundraising
- Experience of working within equivalent roles in a relevant field e.g. media arts, XR production, music, theatre, film for a minimum of 5 years.
- You must have independent employment status and your own laptop and phone (relevant tools)
- Experience of publishing and licensing procedures
- Submit a written application as an attachment (PDF, Word, RTF, Txt, JPG) to email@example.com by 23.59h on 21st November 2022 .This should include;
- a statement of your own design (two A4 pages maximum) which communicates your interest in and suitability for the role,
- your CV of work to date with relevant links.
A longlist of candidates will be notified on the 23rd November and invited for a 30 minutes online interview on the afternoon of either the 1st of 2nd of December. You will be sent the interview questions in advance. Please let us know in your application if you have any time constraints or access requirements.
A final shortlist will be invited for a half-day session in Bristol to experience some of the artist’s work with a follow up second interview. You will be paid £100 to cover time and expenses.
If you have any questions about the role or application, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org